LITERATURE & CULTURE · LITERATURA Y CULTURA

Tres maestros, una ciudad — Lesson: Three Teachers, One City

Tres maestros, una ciudad — Reflexión intermedia

LITERATURE & CULTURE · LITERATURA Y CULTURA

THREE TEACHERS, ONE CITY

Tres maestros, una ciudad

How people and places teach us to see the world.
Cómo las personas y los lugares nos enseñan a mirar el mundo.

A MEMORY THAT BECAME A CONVERSATION

Some of the most important things we learn are not taught in classrooms. They come from people, streets, buildings, sounds, objects and experiences that remain in our memory.

Algunas de las cosas más importantes que aprendemos no se enseñan en un salón de clases. Vienen de las personas, las calles, los edificios, los sonidos, los objetos y las experiencias que permanecen en nuestra memoria.

The question is simple: Who or what taught you to see the world differently?

THE THREE TEACHERS · LOS TRES MAESTROS

When I think back on my childhood, I realize that I had three remarkable teachers.

The nuns taught me discipline.
My father taught me craftsmanship, quality and punctuality.
But the city...
The city taught me how to observe.

Cuando pienso en mi infancia, comprendo que tuve tres maestros extraordinarios.

Las monjas me enseñaron disciplina.
Mi padre me enseñó el trabajo bien hecho, la calidad y la puntualidad.
Pero la ciudad...
La ciudad me enseñó a observar.

A QUESTION FOR YOU · UNA PREGUNTA PARA TI

Who were your teachers outside school?

¿Quiénes fueron tus maestros fuera de la escuela?

They could have been parents, grandparents, friends, neighbors, books, streets, workplaces—or even a city.

A DIFFERENT KIND OF BEAUTY · UNA BELLEZA DIFERENTE

At one point in my childhood, I attended the Belisario Domínguez School. At first, it seemed to be simply another public school.

But its walls were different.

Murals surrounded us. Artists such as Carlos Mérida, Emilio Amero, Pablo O'Higgins, Antonio Ruiz and Arnold Belkin had transformed ordinary educational spaces into places where art, history and everyday life came together.

I did not know the names of those artists at the time. I was a child. I simply knew that those walls made me feel something.

Years later, as an architect, I understood something that had already been planted in my mind:

Buildings should educate.
Public spaces should inspire.
Beauty belongs to everyone.

Los niños muchas veces experimentan la belleza mucho antes de poder explicarla con palabras.

Perhaps your own education also began in places that were never intended to be classrooms.

WAITING FOR MY SISTER · ESPERANDO A MI HERMANA

Another architectural lesson arrived unexpectedly.

My older sister attended the Washington Institute, housed in one of the elegant Porfirian mansions designed by architect Antonio Rivas Mercado.

Sometimes I waited for her after school. While waiting, I wandered through the building.

I noticed the staircases, balconies, high ceilings, carved doors and proportions of the rooms.

I could not explain why the building fascinated me. It simply felt...

different.

Some buildings speak quietly. They do not demand attention, but years later they remain in our memory.

Only after becoming an architect did I discover who had designed that mansion.

Then everything made sense.

Perhaps architecture had been calling me long before I knew how to answer.

LOOK AGAIN · MIRA OTRA VEZ

Think about a building you remember from childhood.

Piensa en un edificio que recuerdes de tu infancia.

  • What did it look like?
  • What did it sound like?
  • How did you feel there?
  • Why do you still remember it?

You do not need architectural vocabulary. Your memory is enough.

THE CITY AS A TEACHER · LA CIUDAD COMO MAESTRA

Observation became the foundation of everything that followed.

Architects must learn to see—not merely to look. They must learn to notice.

Why does one street feel welcoming while another feels hostile?

Why does one building seem timeless while another quickly becomes obsolete?

Why does one neighborhood remain alive because people care for one another?

I began asking these questions long before I knew they had technical names. I was simply a curious boy walking through Colonia Guerrero.

To observe is more than to look.

Observar es más que mirar.

MEMORY IS A CITY · LA MEMORIA ES UNA CIUDAD

Today, when I return to those streets, many things have changed.

The children are different. The sounds are different. Even the air feels different.

Yet if I close my eyes for a moment, I can still hear the laughter, the whistle of the knife sharpener, and the distant sounds of the neighborhood.

The physical city changes. People change. Buildings disappear. Streets acquire new names and new meanings.

Memory, I have discovered, is the only city that never completely disappears.

La memoria, he descubierto, es la única ciudad que nunca desaparece por completo.

LANGUAGE IN CONTEXT · EL IDIOMA EN CONTEXTO

This story gives us useful words, but the words are not the main objective. The objective is to use them to talk about our own experiences.

English Español
memory memoria
neighborhood barrio / colonia
craftsmanship trabajo artesanal / trabajo bien hecho
observe observar
belong pertenecer
neighborhood life vida del barrio / de la colonia

TALK · CONVERSA

There are no correct answers here. The purpose is to share experiences, compare perspectives and discover connections.

  1. Who was an important teacher in your life outside school?
  2. What did that person teach you?
  3. Can a city be a teacher? Why?
  4. What place from your childhood do you remember most clearly?
  5. Is there a building that still lives in your memory?
  6. What sounds remind you of your childhood?
  7. Can architecture influence the way people feel?
  8. What makes a neighborhood feel alive?
  9. What has changed in the place where you grew up?
  10. What has remained the same?

ENGLISH ↔ ESPAÑOL

You can participate in English, Spanish, or both.

Puedes participar en inglés, en español o en ambos idiomas.

The goal is not to translate every sentence. The goal is to communicate an idea and connect with another person.

THE BIG IDEA · LA GRAN IDEA

A teacher does not always stand in front of a classroom.

Sometimes a teacher is a parent. Sometimes a teacher is a building. Sometimes it is a neighborhood. Sometimes it is a city. Sometimes it is a memory.

What matters is what we learn to see.

People shape us.
Places shape us.
Memory connects the two.

Las personas nos forman.
Los lugares nos forman.
La memoria conecta a los dos.

FROM READING TO CONVERSATION

TALK ABOUT THIS TOPIC · HABLA SOBRE ESTE TEMA

Bring your own city, your own memories and your own language to the conversation.

Trae tu ciudad, tus recuerdos y tu propia manera de hablar a la conversación.

JOIN THE CONVERSATION · ÚNETE A LA CONVERSACIÓN

WHATSAPP · QUIERO CONVERSAR
Estructura y Palabra
Conversación Real en Español e Inglés
© 2026 Ricardo E. Valenzuela Ruiz

Comentarios