LITERATURE & CULTURE · LITERATURA Y CULTURA

The city built me.” “English builds itself.”

La Ciudad que Me Construyó
The City That Built Me

Nivel B1 / B2 — Enfoque: Conversación real

🇪🇸 En español

Antes de convertirme en arquitecto, la Ciudad de México ya me estaba educando. Me enseñó a mirar, a escuchar, a recorrer sus calles y a entender que una ciudad también tiene su propia música, su propio ritmo, su propia voz.

💡 Vocabulario clave — Palabras para conversar

EspañolInglés
🔊 EscucharTo listen
🏛️ ConstruirTo build
🎶 SonidoSound
🏙️ CiudadCity
📚 MemoriaMemory
🧱 PiedraStone
❤️ InfanciaChildhood
🛤️ CalleStreet

✅ Repite cada palabra en voz alta, dos veces. La pronunciación mejora cuando la dices con confianza, no cuando la piensas demasiado.

🗣️ Frases para conversar

I grew up in Mexico City.
Crecí en la Ciudad de México.

The city taught me to listen.
La ciudad me enseñó a escuchar.

Every neighborhood has its own rhythm.
Cada barrio tiene su propio ritmo.

Sounds are the first things I remember.
Los sonidos son lo primero que recuerdo.

Architecture is like a language.
La arquitectura es como un idioma.

The city built me, long before I built buildings.
La ciudad me construyó a mí, mucho antes de que yo construyera edificios.

🔁 Repite cada frase en voz alta. Di primero el sujeto, luego el verbo. QUIÉN primero, QUÉ hace después. Recuerda tu regla de oro.

💬 Preguntas y respuestas para conversar

— Where did you grow up? ¿Dónde creciste?
→ I grew up in [ciudad o barrio].

— What do you remember most from your childhood? ¿Qué es lo que más recuerdas de tu infancia?
→ I remember the sounds / the streets / the people.

— What did the city teach you? ¿Qué te enseñó la ciudad?
→ It taught me to look, to listen, and to understand.

🇺🇸 In English

Long before I became an architect, Mexico City was already teaching me. It taught me to look, to listen, to walk its streets, and to understand that a city too has its own music, its own rhythm, its own voice.

💡 Key Vocabulary — Words for conversation

EnglishSpanish
🔊 To listenEscuchar
🏛️ To buildConstruir
🎶 SoundSonido
🏙️ CityCiudad
📚 MemoryMemoria
🧱 StonePiedra
❤️ ChildhoodInfancia
🛤️ StreetCalle

✅ Repeat each word aloud, twice. Pronunciation improves when spoken with confidence — not when overthinking.

🗣️ Phrases for conversation

I grew up in Mexico City.

The city taught me to listen.

Every neighborhood has its own rhythm.

Sounds are the first things I remember.

Architecture is like a language.

The city built me, long before I built buildings.

🔁 Repeat each phrase aloud. Subject first, then Verb. WHO first, WHAT does second. Your golden rule.

💬 Conversation Practice — Questions & Answers

— Where did you grow up?
→ I grew up in [city or neighborhood].

— What do you remember most from your childhood?
→ I remember the sounds / the streets / the people.

— What did the city teach you?
→ It taught me to look, to listen, and to understand.

🏛️ Cities are built stone by stone. Sentences are built word by word.
Subject first, Verb second. Everything else falls into place.

Las ciudades se construyen piedra sobre piedra. Las frases se construyen palabra sobre palabra.
Sujeto primero, Verbo después. Todo lo demás se acomoda solo.

¿Quieres empezar desde lo más básico? Ve a → Comienza Aquí y damos el primer paso juntos.

Comentarios